Thursday, January 8, 2009

Katrina-like?

When Rep. Zach Wamp (R-TN) called the TVA ash disaster a “Katrina-like event” today, I was ready to cheer him on. Yes! It’s huge! It demands immediate action on a massive scale! The media and the federal government should be all over it!

But then I kept reading

“I think it's time that the federal government look at an incident like this as more of a disaster like Katrina, as opposed to malfeasance by anyone or neglect by anyone," he said.

Wait a minute. So when he says “Katrina-like,” he’s not talking about the scope of the disaster or the urgency or the need for sweeping solutions. He’s calling it an act of nature that no one is really to blame for. He’s brushing aside the need to investigate or hold anyone accountable. Typical Republican garbage.

Sigh. I thought, just maybe, running for governor had forced Rep. Wamp to actually show himself as a take charge leader who’s ready to get things done for Tennessee. But no – he’s still just a partisan hack content to play games rather than find solutions.

Maybe I’m wrong. I hope so. I hope Rep. Wamp proves everything I just wrote to be wildly off base.

This is an opportunity, Rep. Wamp, to take ownership of a problem no one wants to touch and prove yourself to be a true leader. Are you ready to take a chance and do something big? If so, I’ll sing your praises.

If not, you’re not ready to be governor.

No comments: