Friday, February 6, 2009

Secretary Bredesen

Is Gov. Phil Bredesen a good choice for HHS? Eh, I’ve never thought of Bredesen as a big change/bold thinking kind of guy. He’s an excellent steward of government, I think, but not much of a visionary. If Obama really wants dramatic reform of the American healthcare system (and hope he does!), Bredesen is not the guy.

I heard Bredesen speak at a medical convention a couple of years ago, and he was fine. Solid but not inspiring. The one speaker at that conference who really impressed me was Colin Powell. I know healthcare isn’t his field, but if Powell is on board with Obama’s healthcare plan, then the President should give the general a good, long look. Just think how much pull Powell has with independents and moderate Republicans. The PR value of putting him in charge of the reform effort would be huge. Plus, the guy is brilliant and capable.

So, Mr. President, if you’re reading this, and you know you are, think about it.

No comments: